Monday, February 12, 2018

Books I've Read - January 2018

This year, I wanted to set some reading goals for myself, but I didn't want it to be sheer number of books. I want to be reading for fun and I don't want to feel that I have to neglect other aspects of my life to get a certain number of books in (I only do that if I really want to be reading a certain book!).

I also have discovered there are certain types of books that I really enjoy that I don't always make time for. So, my goal this year is to read a nonfiction book, a classic, a historical (whether nonfiction or fiction) book, and a "for fun" book each month. If I don't finish them in a month, that's okay (for example, I'm still working on The Count of Monte Cristo and that might take me a few months), as long as I am reading in it throughout the month. I also wanted to throw the "for fun" one in there to make sure I'm still giving myself a chance to read some of whatever I'm in the mood for, even if it's an easy book.

Here are my books this month.

Nonfiction: Fluent in 3 Months
Classic: The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
History: A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War by Joseph Laconte
For Fun: Ella Enchanted (a reread)

Whispers in Autumn by Trisha Leigh 

This is a dystopian novel, where some aliens have come and taken over the humans by smothering their emotions. It follows a girl who is different from the rest (she feels emotions, etc.) and has to hide it. It was an interesting premise and the plot kept me interested in what was going to happen next, but I wasn't impressed with the overall book.

The plot felt forced, as if the bad guys should have caught the main character ages ago but doesn't for some reason. I also never grew super attached to the characters; the plot drove me forward, not any care I had for the character's well being. That's a pretty big deal for me. There are four books total in the series (one book for each season), but as of right now, I'm not going to be continuing it.

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo 

This was a charming read! I had before from other moms how fun this book was (and how much their kids liked it). It follows a mouse who falls in love with a princess and deals with all sorts of themes, such as friendship, kindness, being different, light versus darkness, and grief. I loved the messages found throughout and cannot wait until our kids are old enough that I can share this book with them!

Fluent in 3 Months by Benny Lewis 

This is the book Ben asked Santa for at Christmas and he loved it enough that he had me read it (and is now having his mom read it!). It was a very well done book and is a great read, whether you are a newbie to languages or already have some under your belt. The author talks about principles of learning, sets out the formula he uses for learning languages (and he learns a lot!), and gives specific resources that can be useful.

The thing I got the most out of the book was actually motivation to learn more languages. For as long as I've known him, Ben has been passionate about languages and has wanted to learn more. I haven't. I have the inkling every now and then (maybe I get caught up in Ben's excitement), but for the most part, I haven't. In fact, when Ben first was learning Esperanto, we would email back and forth often while he was at work, so he started emailing me in Esperanto. I basically had to start learning it then and now I know a lot! The book basically opened up my eyes to why we learn other languages (to communicate and connect with other people in different cultures) and helped me see why I would want to do that.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine 

This was a reread for me (I read this for the first time when I was eight and have reread it many times since then; it was my favorite book growing up). It had been a long time since I had read it, but honestly it was just as good as I remember! I love everything in this book--the characters, the plot line, the morals it explores, the love story. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

Life Management for the Busy Homeschooling Mother by Katherine Leigh 

I loved this book! The author's voice was great and not as over the top as some in this genre. She had great ideas and taught a lot of principles of discipline and time management throughout. She also covered a lot of areas of life that are hard to manage at times. I got a lot out of it and can't wait to put it into practice.

Exercise Every Day by S.J. Scott 

The aim of this book was to help the reader make a daily habit of exercise for their lifetime. I love that idea and, even though I already knew a lot of what the author was teaching, I thought the principles and tactics he shared were very useful and that following them, anyone could make a habit of daily exercise.

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie 

This one was way different than any Agatha Christie book I've read, but I loved it! It was set right after WWII, following two young adults who are looking for adventure (and maybe some money while they're at it). On their search, they get caught up in a search for a missing girl who holds important government papers and from there, the real adventure begins. They meet friends (or are they really friends?), face dangers, and try to solve the mystery together.

It was brilliantly done. I thought I saw the ending coming, but then I got to the end and I definitely didn't. I keep wanting to read in it some more, but then I remember that I can't because I already finished it. That's how good it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment