Tuesday, January 8, 2019

My BOM Challenge

With the end of 2018, I wanted to record my experience with the Book of Mormon challenge President Nelson issued in October. 

A little bit of background on my life at the time. Rylee was just short of being two months old. While she has always been a great sleeper, she wasn't yet consistently sleeping through the night. She also hated naps and it was a struggle to get her to sleep when she needed it during the day at this age. Also, babies are just a lot of work. I was working on my BookTube channel, I'd started a writing group and was beginning to work on my novel, and (add all that to normal life with three kids) I felt overwhelmed with life. I knew I was trying to do too much, but there was nothing in my life that I wanted to let go of. 

For women's conference, we had the kids and men go to my house and all the women in the family met at my mother-in-law's. I had Rylee, for nursing purposes, and was trying to get her to be happy rocking in the rocking chair during President Nelson's talk. 

 When he issued the challenge, I remember looking at my in-law's on the couch and saying without thinking, "Oh no." I knew immediately that I should take the challenge but I didn't see how I could possibly fit in one more thing. 

Before the challenge, I was reading in the Book of Mormon everyday. I had been all year, but some days all I got in were a couple of verses, sometimes a whole chapter. I was near the end of Alma. As I went back to listen to the talk and decided to take the challenge, I felt the Spirit confirm what he said, that as I made reading a priority in my life, I would see miracles and find the time in my life for the things I needed to be doing. 

I started reading and I am so glad I did. I tried for three chapters a day. Some days, I just couldn't get to three or other days, the chapters were longer. I tried to wake up and read before the kids were awake, but some days I didn't get to it until I had gotten breakfast for the two older ones and was nursing Rylee. I was able to consistently get it in, though, and finished on December 27. 

It was a beautiful experience for me. I have never read the entire Book of Mormon this quickly and as I did, I felt the Spirit enter my life in a way I've never felt before. I know it gave me strength during some of my unexpected trials this past while and has helped me figure out what to focus on in my life and what to let go of. I have truly seen miracles. 

I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I know that as we read it, our lives are filled with a strength and peace that cannot be found anywhere else. I know that Russel M. Nelson is a prophet and that as we follow him in faith, we will be brought closer to our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life, it brings me more joy than I even knew was possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment