Friday, August 27, 2021

Our SEPTEMBER HOMESCHOOL Plans with a NEW BABY!

 With little Baby Oliver due at the beginning of the month, I'm not expecting to do a lot of big or extensive homeschool activities. I understand that we will be in survival mode for the first few weeks (at least) after having the baby comes. We will be watching a lot of shows and letting the kids play in the backyard a lot. 

BUT, I still want to have some activities planned to do with the girls, while the baby is sleeping. I am also looking for activities that I can do sitting on the couch with them next to me. I know they love when I spend time with them and having these ideas written down somewhere for me to look through will be really helpful for me. 

Origami 

Ashtyn especially loves doing origami. I have some ideas saved on Pinterest that we can do together as well as some videos on the YouTube channel Art for Kids Hub (one of our favorite art channels). 


Drawing 

I can set up the kids at the table or have them draw next to me easily. I can get out notebooks and let them free draw or pull up tutorials on Art for Kids Hub. They even have a playlist of art for kids around Parker's age that she likes. 


Reading 

I will want to continue reading a lot with the kids, and that is something I can do pretty easily from the couch. I can do this with them all as a group or I can do it individually (Parker loves to bring me a book to read to just her during Rylee's nap). 


Coloring pages 

I have some coloring pages I will have ready to pull out in addition to the coloring book they each have. Ashtyn especially loves when I sit and color with her. I have a fall leaves page we can color as well as blank paper leaves to decorate however they would like. I also have some fall coloring pages, like a scarecrow, that I'm going to have printed off and ready to grab. 




Make Your Monster 

I have a printable for making a monster that I think the kids will like. They can color it at the table and then show me or sit next to me while they draw. 


Pokemon Pixel Grid 

This is a printable I found on Pinterest. This one is for Ashtyn. She loves Pokemon and pixel art, so I thought she would find this challenge really fun. 


Create Pokemon Cards 

I found this template for Pokemon cards online and I know all the kids will love it. This is also one that would be great for Ben to do with them. 

Harry Potter Coloring Pages

I found these adorable coloring pages on Pinterest. We have read Harry Potter together and listened to the first couple of books in the car, so the girls really like Harry Potter. 


I Spy Pokemon 

Ashtyn loves doing activities like this with me and when I found this Pokemon themed I Spy page, I knew that she would love it. 


Movement Cards 

We have some animal movement cards that we get out periodically and the kids love it. I can sit on the couch and read off what each card says while they do the movement. They always have so much fun with it.


Pokemon Action Cards

Along a similar vein, I found these Pokemon action cards. We haven't done them before, so I think the kids will be excited. I plan on printing these off and having them ready for when the kids have extra wiggles. 


Mimic Me Cards 

Another similar activity the girls like is using the Mimic Me cards I printed off a few months ago. They like to go through them one at a time, but they also love doing things like lining them up and using them to make dances.

Human Body Learning 

I don't plan on doing any science experiments in September, since those usually take a little more set up and involvement, but I do want to do some science activities. One thing I found was human body worksheets I can print off. Along with them, we can watch some YouTube videos on how the human body works. 





Constellations 

Another science-y thing I can do is these dot-to-dot constellation pages. I also will have a planet flip book ready that I can help them make. Then we can watch some YouTube videos on space as well. 




Math

Ashtyn has some addition and subtraction workbooks that she likes to do with me and Parker has a pre-math skills one that she loves. In addition to that, I have this balance worksheet I printed off for Ashtyn that will help her think about numbers in a different way and these pre-math ones for Parker and Rylee. 



So those are the ideas I have for things to do with the kids! I tried to keep them simple, make sure they are ones I can do on the couch in case I'm still recovering or holding a sleeping baby or just plain tired. I also tried to pick ones that the girls can do fairly independently but that I can also do with them as I have the time and energy. I don't have to do them all, they are just options as I have the time or I can tell the kids need something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment