Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Mom and Dad, A Team

To put our kids down to bed, I put Ashtyn down at her nap time and Ben puts her down at night while I put Parker down. We started this when I was still feeding Parker to sleep. Now I feed her earlier and do a little routine with her (same as with Ashtyn). 

Last night, I finished with Parker just as Ashtyn was down getting her teeth brushed. I knew Ben was tired, so I offered to do Ashtyn's routine as well. He asked her who she wanted and she laughed, then said "momma" (no surprise there). 

I picked her up and snuggled her on the rocking chair and Ben came over for a little kiss. When he asked for the kiss, though, Ashtyn realized he was leaving and puckered right up. We asked if she wanted us both to stay and she instantly agreed. Ben sat on the floor in front of the chair while I read her books. 

Ashtyn thought this was the funniest thing. She kept looking at him and laughing her head off. This continued as we sang her a few songs. Then I wrapped her up in her blanket and picked her up to give her a kiss. Ben came around the other side and hugged from that way. 

Standing there, loving on our daughter, seeing her face as she looked up at her two parents, the importance of marriage and two parents (a mother AND a father) and family really hit home for me. The Proclamation to the Family has it so right and I've never felt that stronger than now that I'm a parent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment