Sunday, November 29, 2020

Our DECEMBER HOMESCHOOL Plans!

 I've already done a post on our countdown to Christmas and many of these will be the same as that. Some of those, however, are family activities or take place in the evening, or are shorter. I have some other homeschool activities I want to do as well, and this is a good place for me to outline that. 

Tuesday, December 1

On the first day of December each year, we make a Christmas countdown chain. I have strips of red, green, and white paper prepared beforehand and I help the kids staple them together. We hang the chains by the back door and take one off each night. I love this as a visual way for them to see how close Christmas is! 

Wednesday, December 2 

I wanted to write to Santa early on in the year. After we write to Santa, I have a search and color activity page for the girls. 

Thursday, December 3

The kids have a little tree up in their room. This is the day we make Paper Ornaments to decorate their tree with. I love having a tree for them, because then they can do whatever they want with it and have fun with it. 

Friday, December 4 

This is the day we're going to set up our nativity set. Because this is a short activity, I'm also going to do a dancing Craisins experiment. We did a similar one with popcorn in November and the girls LOVED it. You put Craisins in a jar with water, vinegar, and baking soda, and the Craisins move up and down in the jar. 

Monday, December 7

In the afternoon today, we're going to shop for and put together gift for a local family in need. In the morning, I have some dot and paint pages for the kids. They love doing dot and paint, and I love finding holiday pages for them.  

Tuesday, December 8

I love doing snow activities, but you can't plan when it snows. Today, we are going to make paper snowflakes together and then hang them up in their rooms. If we have time, I will also make "snow" out of baking soda and hair conditioner with the girls. 

Wednesday, December 9

This year, we're going to try to have Santa visit our home for a few minutes. While we're waiting, I have some coloring pages, mazes, and word search activities for the kids. 

Thursday, December 10

This is our Polar Express party! We stay dressed in cozy pajamas, make hot chocolate and popcorn, and present our golden tickets (which I'll make beforehand) to watch the Polar Express movie. It's one of our favorite activities! 

Friday, December 11

This is the day we will make Gingerbread cookies. I also have paper gingerbread I'm going to cut out that they can color when it's not their turn. Anytime I use cookie cutters, I like to let the kids take turns "helping" me. 

Monday, December 14

On this day, I wanted to finish making and wrapping gifts for extended family. Ashtyn and Parker love making gifts for grandparents, cousins, etc.

Tuesday, December 15

Today, we're going to make some Christmas playdough. There are some different recipes on Pinterest, like peppermint and gingerbread. The girls have been wanting to make more playdoh, so they'll be excited! 

Wednesday, December 16

This is a big day for us, the day we make cookies for neighbors! I make four different kinds of cookies, and with all the "help" I get from the girls, plus delivering the cookies, it makes for an exhausting day.  I'll let the girls play with playdoh more, and have some coloring pages ready as well.  

Thursday, December 17

We're keeping things easy on this day, since making cookies is going to be pretty exhausting. I wanted to do a Christmas craft, and I found one on Pinterest where they can decorate paper Christmas trees with stickers. I thought it was a cute little craft that they can do however they want and will be a nice breather for me. 

Friday, December 18

This is our Candy Cane party! We read a book about the history of candy canes while the kids eat a real candy cane. Then we are going to make paper candy canes to put on their tree upstairs, go on a candy cane hunt (I will hide the candy canes places and they will have to find them), and do a candy cane dissolving science experiment.  I also have a "how to draw a candy cane" tutorial for Ashtyn. 

Monday, December 21

I found a fun craft on Pinterest I want to do with the girls--a five senses of Christmas book. They have a candy cane for taste, pine tree needles for feel, etc. I also want to do a Christmas "chemistry" activity, where we mix baking soda and vinegar with red and green food coloring. This is an easy, no prep science activity that the kids love. 

Tuesday, December 22

Today, we're going to finish making sibling gifts, and then wrap them. I'll have to distract the other two, with coloring pages and Christmas movies, while I work with them one-on-one.  

Wednesday, December 23

The day before Christmas Eve is when we make cookies for Santa. We like to make Christmas sugar cookies and red/green homemade Oreos. While the kids are waiting, I have some tracing Christmas pictures for the girls. These are fun for all the kids, but really good for Parker practicing her writing. 

Thursday, December 24

On Christmas Eve, I try to keep it simple. In past years, I've done coloring pages, but this year, I think I actually want to start a new tradition of playing board games with the kids during the day. We have quite a few favorite board games, plus a couple new ones my mom gave us that we can try. I also have a build a snowman game, using a dice, that I found on Pinterest that the kids might like. I'm excited to spend this time with the girls! 

Monday, December 30 

This is my birthday, so I'm planning on doing something fun as a family. I'm not sure what this will be yet, but we will probably take the day off of school.

Tuesday, December 31

New Year's review for the kids. I will have them draw a picture of themselves, and then answer questions about their year. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment