Sunday, January 24, 2021

Joy in Motherhood

 Sometimes in life, the simplest things are the ones that bring the most joy. I find so much joy in my children through simple, everyday acts. I just wanted to record some of those today. 

                                    

Parker drawing 

This is the one that actually got me thinking about this post. I was sitting next to Parker at church watching as she drew different pictures and it filled my heart with so much joy. She's just at the stage where she is drawing things that look a little bit like what they are supposed to look like, but she is still in the phase that little kids go through where their drawings look unrealistic (things like no necks or really long fingers). I love watching her create pictures and tell me about them and she has such an imagination! 


Ashtyn getting excited about something new 

Ashtyn loves to learn new things and she gets very excited about them. These subjects include math, learning to program her own games, playing Pokemon on her DSI, drawing, fishing, playing chess, riding her bike, piano (and learning songs she wasn't assigned to learn). It brings so much joy to see her passion for learning and to watch as she applies herself to something. It also brings so much joy to see the joy it brings her as she struggles with something and then has a break through! 



The kids learning a new skill 

This is similar to the above, but one of my favorite parts of parenting is watching my children learn new skills. This starts as they are babies and master all the "firsts"--rolling over, walking, talking. But it only gets better as they get older! As Parker learns to say words the correct way and is proud of herself or as Ashtyn learned to ride a bike (and it was hard at first!), it is so fulfilling as a mother. I am so glad I get a front row seat to their learning, growing, achievements, and struggles. 

Ashtyn (and her sisters!) reading 

This could count in the above ones, but reading has such a special place in my heart, I can't help but love that my kids love books. Ashtyn has reached a tipping point with reading where she is now able to read small chapter books (Magic Tree House) on her own. She doesn't get every word right, but she gets enough to tell what's going on. She stays up every night with her lamp until I tell her to turn it off, reading in her book. She also loves to carry it around the house and read it other times as well. My favorite thing is when I'm reading on the couch and she brings her book and sits next to me to read. 

Parker doesn't read on her own yet, but she loves when I read to her (something that I worked very hard to cultivate, because she didn't love to read or sit still when she was younger!). My favorite thing is when she takes a book and looks through it on her own. She'll do this often, and for up to an hour at a time. I love that she appreciates books. 

And Rylee is such a cutie with books too. When she was first learning to talk in sentences, her most common was to ask Ben or I to read to her pleeeease. She brings me books still and asks if I will read it to her. 



Rylee talking 

Toddler age is one of my favorite stages. I think their bodies are so cute, I love the way their voices sound, and they are big enough to not be quite as much work (think 1 year to 18 months) but also not big enough to have quite as much sass. Rylee is in a stage where everything she says and the way she says it is adorable. It melts my heart every time I hear her talk (which is often!). 


The kids playing together 

Our kids definitely have squabbles and fights, just like any siblings, but nothing brings more joy than the times that they are playing with each other. They will play make believe often and I love seeing it. I also love seeing the times when they are snuggling together, sometimes all of them "reading" books or sometimes Ashtyn will read to the girls and it always melts my heart. 






Those are just a few of the small things in the life of motherhood that bring me joy. There are many more, including hugs and kisses and snuggles! Motherhood can be so hard at times, it is so important to recognize the blessings of it and to rejoice in the wonderful things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment