Saturday, March 27, 2021

Our HOMESCHOOL PLANS for April!

I am really excited for April! April is one of my favorite months, because it's my wedding anniversary and the true beginning of spring! I am excited to get outside with the kids more and also have them spend some time outside playing independently. I love the warm weather! 


Monday, March 29

I am including the last week of March because I want to replan this. I had not realized how soon Easter was in April when I planned March and I would like to do some holiday themed activities leading up to Easter Sunday. 

On Monday, I want to do a fizzing egg experiment, where I use plastic eggs and open them up, put some baking soda inside the eggs with matching food coloring, and drop vinegar in. This is one of the kids' favorite things to do and is really easy for me, so it's a perfect activity. 


Tuesday, March 30 

Today, I want to make some Jelly Bean structures using Jelly Beans and toothpicks. I think all the girls will like it, but I know Ashtyn will love it. We might end up doing this in the afternoon or after dinner, because it is also Take a Walk in the Park Day and if it's warm enough, I'm hoping to go to the park. 


Wednesday, March 31 

This day, I am planning on having some paper eggs ready for the kids to put stickers on and decorate. I love activities like this, because they are great for a wide range of ages. Rylee can stick the stickers on however, while Ashtyn can make it harder by making a pattern. 


Thursday, April 1 

The last homeschool day before Easter, I want to have the kids paint with plastic Easter eggs. Paint is always a mess, but this is a low prep activity that will only require the clean up. If it's warm enough, we'll take it outside (my favorite place to have the kids paint!). 


Monday, April 5

This is National Caramel Day, so I thought we could make some homemade caramels together. I have a really yummy recipe that is a little healthier I can use. 


Tuesday, April 6 

Today, I wanted to try learning letters with playdoh. This is a fun idea to use Legos to make marks in the playdoh in the shape of letters. I've been doing different letter activities with Parker because she wants to learn her letters (she really wants to read and she knows this is the first step) and I've been trying to get out our playdoh at least once a month. The kids love it. 

After we do the activity, the kids can keep playing with the playdoh if they (I already know they will). 


Wednesday, April 7 

Today, we're going to do a number scavenger hunt. You have a list, starting with one item (find 1 teddy bear) and move up to 10 (find ten crayons). The kids love scavenger hunts and this one sounds really fun and easy.


Thursday, April 8

Today we're going to learn about the next US state on our list. I have a coloring page and a flashcard for each state and we're learning about one or two a month. We're also learning the Fifty Nifty States song.


 Monday, April 12

Today we're going to make a cute craft that I think Ashtyn will especially like, a flashlight under the sea. You draw the sea creatures on a Ziploc bag, then put a black paper inside the bag. You make the flashlight out of white paper and it creates the illusion of a light shining on the sea creatures. 


Tuesday, April 13

Today we're going to do a science experiment--a raining sponge. It creates a rainstorm in a jar. I had planned to do this last month, but didn't end up getting to it. 


Wednesday, April 14 

Today, as long as it's warm enough, we're going to make an obstacle course outside with chalk. The kids will have fun helping me make it and then doing it. 


Thursday, April 15 

On this day, as long as the weather is warm enough, we're going to go in our backyard and do some mud painting. This looks really fun and while they'll need to be washed off afterwards, the activity itself will be low key since we'll be doing it outside. 


Monday, April 19 

Today, we're going to learn about another state. The two states to learn about in April are Arizona and Arkansas. 


Tuesday, April 20 

Today will be Ben and my eighth anniversary! We will be taking the day off of school (and hopefully have the kids spend the night somewhere else!). 

Wednesday, April 21

This day is Astronomy Day. Ashtyn loves astronomy, so I thought we'd do a couple activities. One thing she loves to do (we've done it in the past) is make constellations out of marshmallows and toothpicks. There are also a couple different solar systems we could make, like going outside and drawing it with chalk or making the planets out of Legos. Ashtyn would love both of those. 

There are also a couple books from the library I want to get and we will watch some SciShow Kids episodes on YouTube about the solar system. This means Ashtyn will probably want to make the earth and it's different layers out of playdoh, since they do that in one of the videos





Thursday, April 22

And Earth Day! I have a couple activities that might be fun for today too. One of them is a torn paper craft, where they tear up green and blue paper and then glue the paper onto a template of Earth. The other is a scavenger hunt for "Earth" things like rocks and dirt. 

I really like the Barnie episode that is about Earth Day too, so we'll probably watch that sometime. I also like to make "dirt cups" for the kids. It's a fun thing that they like and is pretty easy to do.  






Monday, April 26

This is going to be another playdoh day! I buy playdoh sometimes, but I really like making our own. It's easy and I don't worry if Rylee decides to eat it. I started this when she was a lot younger and she doesn't do it a lot now, but I'm sold on how cheap and easy the recipe is now. 


Tuesday, April 27

Today is Tell a Story Day and I want to run with that. The girls love telling stories and it's something that Ben and I have been actively working to help them love (similar to how we are actively working on helping them love reading). I thought today I would keep it simple and buy a little notebook for each girl from the dollar store. I will have them dictate a story for me to write down for them and then let them draw pictures behind it that represent the story. 

If there is room after that, we can do more stories another time together. 


Wednesday, April 28

This is National Super Hero Day! Our kids love superheroes. I found a cute printable on Pinterest where the kids can build their own super hero from paper. 


Thursday, April 29

This is International Dance Day and I thought it might be fun to do a little dance lesson together. We could watch some different folk dances on YouTube, which Parker especially will like. 


Friday, April 30 

I don't normally do activities on Fridays (we do chores as our "activity" for the day), but it is International Jazz Day and I thought it would be fun to listen to some Jazz. I'm going to ask my brother-in-law, who has done some Jazz piano in the past, for some recommendations on YouTube. 


*The first day of May, a Saturday, is Mother Goose Day, and I want to remember because I think it would be fun to do some things to celebrate that. Besides reading nursery rhymes, we can do some coloring pages and maybe some puppet shows. 



So those are my plans for the month! We don't ever seem to get to everything, but planning like this helps me do more with the kids and we do end up doing a lot of the activities. I'm excited for all the fun things this month will bring! 


No comments:

Post a Comment