Saturday, October 8, 2022

My General Conference Lesson - Love More, Judge Less

 For as long as I can remember, I have loved General Conference. We would always spend the talks doing crafts and drawing when I was a child and that was so fun to me. As I grew older, I appreciated the Spirit that comes with the speakers and the renewed conviction I leave with to be a better follower of Christ. 

As I've had kids, it's often harder to hear the talks and it's definitely a different experience with young kids. I'm sure it will evolve as my kids get older as well. But the feeling that comes from those talks I do hear (and as I listen to the ones I missed later on) is the same. 

This year, I came to conference feeling worn down. I was wanting to be buoyed up and had questions on how to better love and support so many in my life. 

My favorite quote from General Conference was from Sister Dennis's talk. She said: 

"We are commanded to love others, not judge them. Let's lay down that heavy burden; it isn't ours to carry. Instead, we can pick up the Savior's yoke of love and compassion." 

I felt like those words were just for me, the very individual answer to my prayers. Judging others is a burden, a heavy one. It's also one that I seem to need a constant reminder to not do

Loving others in a compassionate way, rather than judging them, feels hard. It's hard to remember, sometimes it's hard to recognize. Even when I remember and recognize it, it's not always easy to put into practice. 

But, it is lighter. It is a better way of living. When I do it, I'm a better mother, a better wife, a better friend. When I live this way, I can feel God's love and strength in my life, carrying me through the good and the bad. 

I know God wants me to be more compassionate and understanding with others. I know He will help me as I strive to be more like Him and I'm so grateful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment