Wednesday, January 8, 2020

My 2020 New Year's Resolutions

This year, instead of doing big goals at the beginning of 2020, I wanted to come up with some small, sustainable habits and systems to get me closer to the kind of person I want to be and the kind of life I want to be living.

Here are some of those changes I'm hoping to make.

Yoga in the morning 
One thing Ben and I are doing together is being in bed by 10:00, going to sleep by 10:30, waking up at 6:30. When we wake up, we have ten minutes to check our phones, use the bathroom, etc. and then we do 10 minutes of yoga together. We've just been finding a relaxing, ten minute yoga YouTube video each day. It doesn't push us, but it's a great way to start the day.

My goals with this one are two fold. The first is to get to bed and wake up at a more consistent time this year. My second is to start seeing myself as someone who moves and exercises often. My third is to start off with something easy (so I'll actually do it) but motivating, to get me going on the rest of my morning routine. So far, yoga with Ben has been great at that.

Writing EVERY single day 
I have a streak and I want to write every single day this year, even if it's just a sentence. I write right after doing Yoga with Ben in the morning, before the girls wake up. That helps me get more than a sentence in (I usually have 20-30 minutes of uninterrupted time to write). This is something I've been doing for quite awhile. The difference is the off days, when my routine is broken. If the girls are sick, or I'm sick, or we're traveling, or it's a holiday, or whatever the interruption is, I want to write at least a sentence every single day. I don't want to miss.

My main goal with this is I'm really trying to drill in my identity not only as an aspiring author and writer, but as the kind of person who writes every day, no matter what. Because consistency is my goal, how much I write on any given day doesn't matter, so I made the amount a low enough one that even if it's eleven at night and we're traveling, I will pull out my computer and still write that day.

Not Eat Pizza 3 Times a Week 

Okay, so we didn't actually eat pizza three times every week in 2019, but we ate so much pizza. We had times when we would make pizza after the girls went down as a "special date", pizza for movie nights, pizza when we got sick, pizza when we didn't know what to do for dinner and didn't plan ahead enough, etc.

This year, Ben and I really want to cut back on that, for our health and our budget. We really like to buy pizza and want to continue to have it sometimes, just not as often. Our main system for this is we've come up with meals that are easy to make and easy to defrost that we can keep in our freezer. These include hamburgers and hot dogs (with homemade buns), sandwiches, spaghetti, taco soup, sloppy joes, chicken nuggets, and chicken pot pie. If I can keep some of these in the freezer and replace as needed, then the nights when we are starving (like getting home from traveling with no food in the house) or when I'm trying to figure out dinner at 5:00 (when we normally eat), we'll have something fairly healthy, yummy, and quick to pull out and make. That way we can reserve pizza for nights when we want to do something special, like movie night. I also want to make pizza this year more often, rather than buying it so much.

Come Follow Me as a family 

We didn't do great with Come Follow Me last year, especially as a family. We're taking the new year and new program as a chance to change that. This year, we really want to focus on creating the habit together, so we're keeping our expectations really low. We're going for consistency.

Our goal this year (and I have a reminder on my phone for it) is to sit down together before or after dinner each day and open up to the lesson for that week. That's it. That's our goal. Open up the book. Of course, once we open it up, we'll do a lesson. But if we get interrupted or the kids are crazy or we don't have much time and don't do a lot, that's okay, because our goal is to simply get in the habit of opening up the book together.

Visit the temple once a month 

I want to get to the temple every month this year with Ben. I have a day set aside each month to go, and I have a reminder on my phone the day before to find a babysitter, so that I won't forget.

Those are my main goals this year and the small habits/systems I am working on to make them happen. I am excited to see how I change as a person this year as I implement these small, simple changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment