Saturday, October 9, 2021

What Gets me up in the Morning?

 When we lived in our apartment, we had a bookshelf of children's books in our living room. I love having books out and accessible for the kids, but this bookshelf was a lot of work. The kids would, pretty much everyday, pull every single book off the shelf into a giant pile. 

Now, I could easily just stick the books back on the shelf however they would go. I could even get Ashtyn to help (she was two/three at the time). 

But I liked the shelf to be organized in a certain way. I wanted the books to be on in a particular way and a particular order. 


Not only that, though, I liked the actual act of organizing the books. I didn't do it every night, but it was a sort of reward for cleaning the rest of the apartment to get to sit down and organize the books. 

When we moved into our house, we switched the bookshelf for a smaller basket in the living room and kept the shelf somewhere it was easier for me to keep it organized. 

I've always loved organizing and that love has only grown as I've gotten older. 

Recently I was reading a book called Talk like Ted. The book itself was just okay, but there was a question the author asked that I really liked thinking about: What gets you up in the morning?

This question has more to do with your passion than a specific thing. For example, rather than answering something like "writing books," you could answer, creativity. Ben's answer was learning to master something and then teaching that to other people.  

As I thought about what my answer would be, I was sure it was something to do with my love of organizing, but I just wasn't sure. 

As I talked with Ben about it, I started making connections. I love planning and making lists. I love being prepared. I love things like editing videos and making videos talking about my plans and lists. My favorite part of writing is outlining, and my second favorite part is editing. 

Then we pinpointed the thing that ties all those things together: 

The thing that makes my heart sing is taking chaos and turning it into order. 

It sounds a little cheesy to say it that way, but I love it. I can see it in my motivations and in the things I do each day (even with the kids). And knowing this passion of mine in a more clear way can help me as I move forward in all of my different goals. 

So I ask you now, What gets you up in the morning? 

No comments:

Post a Comment