Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A Short Husband Tribute

I've been reading the Five Love Languages book and it's gotten me thinking a lot about the relationship that Ben and I have together. Obviously we have things we can do better, every relationship does, but I think we have a strong marriage and that it is so strong in great part to Benjamin.


Ben has way too many wonderful characteristics to name them all here, but I wanted to share just a few things he does that strengthen our marriage.

*He still goes out of his way to tell me how much he loves me and how beautiful he thinks I am. I know this is something he will always do for me.

*He gives me thoughtful gifts. Receiving gifts is not my primary love language, but everybody feels loved when they know their spouse has been thinking of them. I think of some of the gifts he's given me since we met--his favorite book, paintings, drawings, coupons for date nights, a Celtic necklace--and my heart swells with love for him. I know those were all gifts given from his heart and while thinking of what I would really like.

*He does the dishes. There aren't many chores that I don't enjoy and I usually do most of the housekeeping. Ben helps the most by helping with Ashtyn while I'm doing a chore (for example, while I vacuum the stairs, he'll watch Ashtyn for me). He also helps if I ask him to do something. But dishes are something he just does, and some nights it's really nice to come down from putting Ashtyn to bed (or back when I was going to school, getting home from school or dance) and having the kitchen clean. I know he does this even when he's really tired and I always appreciate his help. He also takes out the trash way more than I do, which is nice, especially right now when it's freezing outside.

*He takes me out. We're both more homebodies than party animals, but I like to go out more than he does. I especially like to eat out a couple times a month. If it were up to Ben, we'd probably eat out maybe once or twice a year. But, he learned early on in our marriage that it was something I really enjoyed and so we do go out more often.

*He puts his arm around me in church. I know this is a silly one, but it is one that really helps me feel his love. When we were dating, he would do this every week during sacrament, maybe that's why. Now that we have Ashtyn between us in sacrament, he does it during Sunday school. I always notice and love when he does it.

*He likes my cooking, sometimes more than his mom's even, and even when he doesn't, he eats it. I think this is so important. It makes me feel like my efforts are appreciated and needed, which helps me love doing what I do.

*He tells me about his interests and ideas, even when I'm not interested in them. I love that I am part of his life, even if it means I hear about Pokemon and physics problems. It makes me feel like I am an important part of his life and that he cares enough about me to help me understand those parts of his life.

Benjamin does so much for our family and our marriage. He is, of course, not a perfect husband, just as I am not a perfect wife. I'm still learning to forgive or let go of the small things and to show the appreciation I should for what he does. I am so grateful for Ben's patience with me as I work on those, and many other, things. I am so grateful for his sacrifices (both big and small), the thoughtful acts of service, and the kind words he shares with me.

I love him so much and am eternally grateful that we are on this road of improvement and progression together. I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment