Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My New Favorite Part of our Bedtime Routine

Every night after Ashtyn is ready for bed, we sit on her rocking chair and read together. Then I sing her a song and put her in her crib. We started this when she was really young, in the hopes of teaching her to fall asleep on her own and to stay asleep.

It seems to have worked, but now our bedtime routine is honestly one of my favorite parts of the day.

It's the one time Ashtyn will actually sit still with me and give me some snuggles. She loves books, but even when we're reading in the daytime, she is getting up and down and squirming and turning the pages backwards and throwing books all over the place. At bedtime, though, she just sits on my lap and turns the page when it's time and I get to hold her.

Then I sing and she sits still for that too (usually). I think it's just because we've done it so consistently as she's gotten older, she knows what to expect. There are other things in her routine that we miss sometimes (like brushing her teeth or cleaning her room), but I think I've only missed doing this maybe twice since we started.

Our new thing is to finish reading and I'll say to her, "Do you want to snuggle with Mommy now?" She immediately turns around, throws her little arms around my neck, and snuggles her cute little head on my shoulder. She'll stay that way while I sing to her and I just soak it in.

Yesterday, before I was even finished reading, she turned around to snuggle with me and then while I was singing, she kept popping her head up, giving me a kiss (saying "mwah!"), and then putting her head back down. We were giggling together and it was a take-a-picture-in-your-mind-and-remember-this-forever moment.

Ashtyn is such a little sweetheart and I am such a lucky mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment